Monday, May 14, 2012

Cooking Mama

We made some yummy treats and meals for Mother's Day- light and healthy meals! The desserts however were not too light of healthy, but it was a special occasion. Saturday I made Cobb Salad. It has your classic components, but really I just did what I wanted that day. I used mixed salad greens including spinach and butter lettuce, carrots, cucumber, grape tomatoes, cheese cubes, boiled eggs, crispy bacon pieces, and turkey. I lined it all up and let everyone put on what they wanted. Easy!

The girls made some yummy blueberry muffins for breakfast Sunday morning. Then for dinner I did fish tacos. These were not the classic either, just what I could do at home to resemble those California style tacos. I used Swai, which I had never cooked before. I think it is my new favorite fish. It kind of reminded me of a sweet lighter catfish. I just cooked it in my electric skillet with a little olive oil and butter, for color. I dusted the filets with Montreal chicken seasoning, which has a nice flavor. I also grilled on filet on the George Foreman grill, just to see how it did. I flaked the fish into chunks, put them in warmed corn tortillas and all the other traditional taco toppings. I loved this meal, served with fresh fruit.

Over the weekend, the girls made two pies. One was a kind of a cobbler in a pie pan called "Died and Gone to Heaven Peach Pie" - it was good. Like having cobbler and ice cream all in one. The other was the three layer chocolate pie that I usually only make at Thanksgiving, but it came out this weekend for an encore performance. I am glad to be a "cooking mama" and am raising cooking girls. They did all the clean up- so that was the best. Thanks, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment