Thursday, April 8, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup



I tried this recipe this week. It was different than any chicken tortilla soups I have had before. That being said, I should not really judge it on those classic chicken tortilla soups, chicken broth or cheesy cream based ones. We did like it, and I even liked it better leftover for lunch. It tastes more like chili to me. It is very flavorful and hearty. I froze two containers for later meals, and kept one out for my lunches this week. This recipe comes from Sisters Cafe, the same blog where I found another fantastic crock pot recipe : Southwest Chicken, which I make on a regular basis. Here is the Tortilla Soup recipe:

4 chicken breast halves
2 15-oz cans black beans, drained
2 15-oz cans Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 cup MEDIUM salsa (not mild)
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
1 14 ½-oz can tomato sauce
Tortilla chips, not optional :)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice or shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

So now I am on the look out for more Crock pot chicken tortilla soup recipes. Have any?

No comments:

Post a Comment