Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pork Chops with Apples

This is one of my go-to recipes, but I kind of forgot about it and had not made it in a while. I got a bunch of apples last week for the girls lunches, so I decided to put it the meal plan this week. The apples are delicious and tender, the perfect compliment to the pork chops. I like to do this recipe in my electric skillet.

Ingredients

* 4 medium apples
* Juice of half an orange or lemon (I use orange)
* 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
* Oil for the pan (or just spray)

* 4 pork chops
* Salt and pepper
* 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
* 1 tbsp. butter, optional

Instructions

1.Peel, core and cube the apples, and sprinkle them with lemon juice and nutmeg. (I use apple pie spice which includes nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice).

2.Put a 10-inch or larger skillet over medium-high heat, and put in enough oil just to keep the pork from sticking. When the skillet is hot, add the chops, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. After about 6 minutes, turn the chops to brown on the other side. After 5 minutes, add the apples and cover the pan.

3.Remove the chops from the pan to a serving platter.

4.Deglaze the pan with the cider or juice, turning up the heat as you stir the juice and apples, and scrape up browned bits. To make a richer sauce, you can swirl in a tablespoon of butter as you remove the pan from the heat and before pouring the apples over the pork. You can also sprinkle on more cinnamon and sugar, depending on the sweetness of your apples. (Note: The time the chops take to cook will be determined by their thickness. The center of a chop should be white, and the juices should run clear.)

I served this dish with some broccoli and a baked sweet potato. Perfect for autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment