Friday, September 11, 2009

Applesauce in the Crock Pot


I made this amazing applesauce last night in the crock pot. I peeled, cored, and sliced 12 large granny smith apples. I also did one fuji apple. Put in a big bowl with 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Stir to combine and coat all the apples. Pour all that out into the crock pot. At this point I decided to add some cinnamon. It wasn't in the original recipe, but my girls like cinnamon applesauce. I probably put in 1 - 2 Tablespoons and stirred it around again. Cover the crock pot and because my apples were sliced thin on the apple peeler/corer/slicer I only had to cook it 2 1/2 hours on HIGH. The original recipe called for cutting the apples into 1 1/2 inch chunks and cooking it 4 hours. When the apples were cooked I smoothed them with my immersion blender. Genius! It worked so quickly and the result was a velvety smooth consistency. You could just mash it for a chunkier applesauce, but that is not for me. This applesauce is for the girls' lunch boxes so I spooned it into 4 ounce containers to freeze. Then they can just take one out the night before and it will be ready for their lunches the next day. I was pretty proud of myself for doing this recipe. It's not like it was hard or anything, but it is something I had never made before and I love it when things turn out exactly the way I want and taste delicious. It was simple satisfaction of a job well done. It made 16 4-ounce containers or 8 cups total.

1 comment:

  1. It's very good... We should have put them in bigger containers so I could eat more at once!!! :)

    ReplyDelete