Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Baked" Potato Soup

I got this recipe from a book I checked out of the library, "Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook". I am trying to do more with my Crock Pot than just the standard roasts. This soup is aptly named as it tastes just like a loaded baked potato. I served it as a meal with crusty bread.

6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 3/4 pounds)
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 (14-oz) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup whipping cream or half and half
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 8-oz container sour cream (optional)
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
More shredded cheddar cheese

Combine first 6 ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours, or until potato is tender.
Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is thickened slightly; stir in cream, shredded cheese and chives. Top individual bowls with sour cream, bacon or more cheese as desired.

Next time I think I will use white pepper and not quite as much. Otherwise it was very yummy. It makes a big batch, too! It is going to be my lunch all week, I think!

1 comment: